Thursday, January 25, 2007

Just another day

Well, I had my 24-week appointment with Dr. Anderson. Everything seems to still be going okay. The baby's heartbeat was in the 140's. As soon as she put the Doppler on my stomach, we saw the baby move but I think he was sleeping. Ron and I have been using his stethoscope to see if we can hear anything yet but we can't. The Dr. told us to wait about another month before we actually start to hear something with a regular stethoscope. I also had to sit in the office for an hour to do the glucose test. The stuff didn't taste bad at all and I like that they had chilled it. They drew blood after an hour and then I was finally able to leave. Hopefully, I won't get a call. The nurses said that if something came up they would call me and then I would have to go in for more extensive testing. It's scary for me since much of my family is diabetic and I know it's in my genes, I just hope that the test comes up negative.

It was interesting sitting in the office and watching all the people go by. I found myself measuring my belly against other women's to see if I was bigger or smaller and if they were due sooner than me or not. Ron didn't go with me this trip as he didn't want to sit in the office for that long when he could be at "work" putting people to sleep. We always sit and talk though when we are there together about the number of men who come with their pregnant wife/girlfriend/whatever. Ron sometimes feels out of place. I think that every woman that walked through the door during that hour had a male with her. It's nice to know that there are a lot of supportive men out there.

I've never been much of a back sleeper but I find myself more and more wanting to sleep on my back. Probably because I know that I shouldn't do it. If I do end up on my back, I eventually end up waking back and turning to my side but still going back to my back. I have a big pillow that I use that many times ends up on the floor!

I've also been busy looking for daycare since both Ron and I won't be able to stay at home. I've had to put my name on waiting lists and they have said to call back once the baby is born. I'm nervous that I won't find something but I hope that's not the case. Most places start taking babies as young as 6 weeks which (if everything goes according to schedule), it will be the first part of July. Unfortunately, since I am the breadwinner for the Baker family, there is not much choice in if I am going back to work or not but my bosses are very flexible and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I do really like my job so it won't be too hard to go back.

Until the next episode....

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Maybe you should get a nanny or manny instead of a daycare. Oh and when they say they charge like $5 per minute after 6:00 (the time that the babies must be picked up), they aren't lying either. No worries, I'm sure you will find something!